10-Week Paid Apprenticeship
The DAIA summer program exposes students who reflect the diversity of our communities to library careers. Through a mentored learning experience, apprentices are introduced to multiple facets of library life, from administration to programming to user services.
The Diversity and Inclusion Apprenticeship application is closed. If you would like to be placed on the 2024 contact list, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who May Apply?
Ideal applicants are: enthusiastic about libraries and public service; good listeners; willing to share ideas and take risks; flexible and adaptable; able to work well in a team environment; computer proficient; capable of accomplishing goals and meeting deadlines; and have a strong work ethic.
- Incoming high school seniors or college freshmen, sophomores or juniors
- At least 18 years of age by June 12, 2023
- Live in Los Angeles County
What Are the Responsibilities of an Apprentice?
- Begin the apprenticeship the week of June 12 and continue through August 19, 2023.
- Work 15 hours per week under the guidance of a librarian mentor, and develop and implement a capstone community project.
- Communicate effectively and check email regularly.
- Be available throughout the day, with no other weekday summer obligations (summer school or weekday job).
- Attend up to three field trips within Los Angeles County. Apprentices are responsible for their own transportation.
- Complete scheduled rotations within Los Angeles Public Library locations.
- Tour neighboring library systems.
- Explore universities offering Master of Library and Information Science programs and professional library associations.
- Spend dedicated time reflecting and writing about the apprenticeship experience.
- Introduce new ideas to enhance Library services and programs.
How to Apply?
We will accept applications through March 17, 2023, or until a sufficient number of applications have been received.
- If you meet our criteria, complete the online application on this page.
- If you meet the requirements, you will be invited for an interview.
- If you are selected as an apprentice, you will begin DAIA on June 12, 2023.
For more information, email email@example.com.