Step 1: Attach the Sabrent 1.44MB External 2X Floppy Disk Drive
- Ask a library staff member for the Sabrent external floppy disk drive.
- Attach the drive's USB cord to a USB port on the back of the Station 1 computer.
Step 2: Insert your 3.5" Floppy Disk
- When you connect the external floppy drive to computer's USB port, the drive should start flashing red. This is when you will insert 3.5" floppy disk.
- Watch How to insert and eject 3.5" floppy disk if you have concerns on what to do.
Step 3: Grab Your Files
- Select Open folder to view files at the prompt on the computer screen.
- If the prompt does not appear, open File Explorer and select the floppy disk drive on the left-hand pane to view your files.
- Copy the files from the floppy disk drive to your storage device by:
- highlighting all of the files you want to copy from the floppy disk, and
- dragging the highlighted files to your chosen storage destination
- Be sure to rename your files if the existing filenames are vague or inconsistent.
- Some older formats such as WPD (Word Perfect Files) may not be able to open with contemporary operating systems. We recommend that you move all files off of your floppy and on to an accessible storage environment anyway. There are many conversion softwares available online for older and obsolete file formats.
Step 4: You are done
- Eject the Sabrent Floppy Disk Drive by clicking the upward pointing arrow in the task bar, then select the USB icon.
- Please return the Sabrent Floppy Disk Drive to Octavia Lab staff.
- Do not forget your floppy disks and USB drive.